“A good laugh and a long sleep are two
of the best cures for anything.” -Unknown
Most everyone loves a good laugh. Well, except certain grumpy, uptight people who never smile… you know who you are 🙁
But did you know that laughter has many, many health benefits, too? This includes dealing with stress.
Over 350 studies have established a ton of benefits that come to us when we laugh. There are just 4 benefits in particular that might surprise you.
1. Laughter releases potent endorphins. A good laugh releases a dose of endorphins, our feel-good hormone. Here’s why that is great news: endorphins help counteract the negative emotions and stress we experience in daily life. The effects of these endorphins are heightened… when we laugh with others.
Hmm… do you think that’s why we instinctively make a joke to lighten the mood in certain situations, to experience some relief?
2. Laughter has an effect similar to antidepressants. Laughing activates the release of the neurotransmitter serotonin, the same brain chemical affected by the most common types of antidepressants, SSRIs.
3. Laughter protects your heart. Research has shown that laughter has an anti-inflammatory effect that protects blood vessels and heart muscles from the damaging effects of cardiovascular disease.
4. Laughter enhances relationships. The shared experience of laughter can enhance the bonding of individuals, leading to better relationships. In fact, couples who report laughing together regularly also have higher-quality relationships.
Time to Take Your Laughter Medicine!
In the light of the benefits from a laugh or two, and as a public service, let me suggest a dose of humor that might improve your day.
Below are some of the most liked (humorous) Twitter tweets Wise Insights has broadcast. If you like them, there are more at https://twitter.com/wise_insights4u.
- A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
- A recent study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.
- My wife’s a perfectionist, which sometimes is a good thing, like when it comes to picking a husband. -Phil Dunphy
- I went for a walk last night and my kids asked me how long I’d be gone. I said, “The whole time.” -Stephen Wright
- Took my dog to a bonfire. As we sat there, I realized he loves sticks… and I was burning a giant pile of his toys.
- I was watching a race and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another dressed as an egg. I thought: ‘This could be interesting’
- Overheard at the church nursery check-in area: My name is “Mom”, but my full name is “Mom Mom Mom Mom Mom.”
- Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail. -Phil Dunphy
- Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours. – Yogi Berra
Good job on taking your medicine today 😊
Since you were such a good patient, here is your lollipop to cap off our treatment… a VERY funny video my kids shared with me. I challenge you not to laugh or smile. I couldn’t… https://youtu.be/ffyKY3Dj5ZE
Don’t forget… if you want a steady dose of amusing (as well as thought provoking) quotes, click here to find more on Twitter from Wise Insights.
Got a good joke to share? Leave it in a comment below. Thanks.